from Participants in the White Affinity Group Sessions at #PoCC13
NOTE: This material was collected by affinity group facilitators from participants, and provided to NAIS leadership to support equity and social justice initiatives however NAIS might see fit. For further information about the context of this exercise in White/European American affinity group work at #PoCC13, please see “475 Short Stories about White Allyship.”
In the relationships that are central to our learning and our lives, we believe that asking good questions is a crucial skill — and that this skill can be taught and practiced. Participants’ continued exploration of white allyship in Session 2 was supported by engagement in a Question Formulation Technique exercise (following protocols developed by The Right Question Institute) in which self-selected groups of five participants generated, analyzed, and prioritized questions about the following prompt:
White allyship is my life-long journey.
By the end of the exercise, each group identified two driving questions that represented the intersections of their individual curiosities and their shared concerns. These two questions became the topics of participants’ discussions in Session 3, when they reconvened at the end of the day to discuss their rationale for the selection of their questions; to examine the assumptions that underlie their questions; and to propose responses, strategies, etc. in open discussions of the questions.
At the end of Session 2, participants were invited to share their two driving, ‘most important’ questions with facilitators, on the promise that these would be collected and reported back to NAIS in case such information might be helpful to others. Representatives from 65 groups submitted their questions, which you will find below. These driving questions seem to organize themselves into four general areas of inquiry: DEFINITION of the meaning, value, and goals of white allyship; STRATEGIES for effective white allyship; ASSESSMENT and accountability of goals as white allies; and SUPPORT and sustenance of white allies.
To view the full list of participants’ driving questions about white allyship, please click here: bit.ly/PoCC13-WhiteAG-DQs
– — –
For further information about the context of this exercise in White/European American affinity group work at #PoCC13, please see “475 Short Stories about White Allyship.”
You can follow Chris Thinnes on Twitter at @ChrisThinnes
Chris.Thinnes.me is the personal blog of an independent school educator and public school parent. My opinions should not be associated with any institution or organization with which I am affiliated.
Popular Posts This Month
- What if K-12 Education Were More Like Preschool?
- After #Ferguson: Sample Questions for Reflection & Discussion in Our Schools (via #PubPriBridge)
- An Open Letter to the NAIS Board re: John Chubb’s Appointment
- Educational-Relational Thinking & the Future of Public-Private Partnerships
- “Always Starting with the Children”
- “The Root, Stem, Leaves, & Fruit of American Education” [Part 1]
- Cultural Competence and Public-Private Partnership as Educational-Relational Thinking: Resources from #PoCC14
- “The Root, Stem, Leaves, & Fruit of American Education” [Part 3]
- “Plant the Seeds that One Day Will Grow” (Farewell Comments to Colleagues)
- Living in Dialogue | Reimagining Education ‘Accountability': Asking the Right Questions
- “Engagement, Respect & Reciprocity in Public-Private School Partnerships” (#EdCampLA #errppp)
- Cultural Competence and the ‘Pluriverse’ of Learning
- 475 Short Stories about White Allyship (at #PoCC13)
- 45 Minutes, 28 Teachers, 76 Questions: Creating an Environment & Climate Conducive to Learning
- Revolutionary Love: Antonia Darder’s ‘Reinventing Paulo Freire’
COMPLETE INDEX OF POSTS
RECENT TWEETS FROM @ChrisThinnes
"Duplication" @TheTeacherTom: http://t.co/06qY68Kfb0 http://t.co/eWjAdCvRIT
RT @ShaunKing: 4 things that should happen now that we know the truth about witness #40 AKA white supremacist, Sandy McElroy
"Teacher Team Offers New Vision of Responsibility" Viva/NEA 360° writing collaborative via @LivingnDialogue: http://t.co/gKzBAIJwdG #edchat
.@Edu_Historian & @smarick on academic research in education, and its use in crafting policy: http://t.co/bVc4WVAQLO #edchat #edpolicy
"We with love shall force our brothers to see themselves as they are..." James Baldwin via James Edwards: http://t.co/QRQxKwU9AT
"We must reject value-added evaluations... [and] invest in sustainable teacher observations..." @DrJohnThompson: http://t.co/9cptAAnICj
"'Witness 40': Exposing A Fraud In #Ferguson" http://t.co/5zIVFNB54u "Witness 40...was nowhere near Canfield Drive..."
- "Duplication" @TheTeacherTom: http://t.co/06qY68Kfb0 http://t.co/eWjAdCvRIT