from Participants in the White Affinity Group Sessions at #PoCC13
NOTE: This material was collected by affinity group facilitators from participants, and provided to NAIS leadership to support equity and social justice initiatives however NAIS might see fit. For further information about the context of this exercise in White/European American affinity group work at #PoCC13, please see “475 Short Stories about White Allyship.”
In the relationships that are central to our learning and our lives, we believe that asking good questions is a crucial skill — and that this skill can be taught and practiced. Participants’ continued exploration of white allyship in Session 2 was supported by engagement in a Question Formulation Technique exercise (following protocols developed by The Right Question Institute) in which self-selected groups of five participants generated, analyzed, and prioritized questions about the following prompt:
White allyship is my life-long journey.
By the end of the exercise, each group identified two driving questions that represented the intersections of their individual curiosities and their shared concerns. These two questions became the topics of participants’ discussions in Session 3, when they reconvened at the end of the day to discuss their rationale for the selection of their questions; to examine the assumptions that underlie their questions; and to propose responses, strategies, etc. in open discussions of the questions.
At the end of Session 2, participants were invited to share their two driving, ‘most important’ questions with facilitators, on the promise that these would be collected and reported back to NAIS in case such information might be helpful to others. Representatives from 65 groups submitted their questions, which you will find below. These driving questions seem to organize themselves into four general areas of inquiry: DEFINITION of the meaning, value, and goals of white allyship; STRATEGIES for effective white allyship; ASSESSMENT and accountability of goals as white allies; and SUPPORT and sustenance of white allies.
To view the full list of participants’ driving questions about white allyship, please click here: bit.ly/PoCC13-WhiteAG-DQs
– — –
For further information about the context of this exercise in White/European American affinity group work at #PoCC13, please see “475 Short Stories about White Allyship.”
You can follow Chris Thinnes on Twitter at @ChrisThinnes
Chris.Thinnes.me is the personal blog of an independent school educator and public school parent. My opinions should not be associated with any institution or organization with which I am affiliated.
Popular Posts This Month
- What if K-12 Education Were More Like Preschool?
- “Always Starting with the Children”
- An Open Letter to the NAIS Board re: John Chubb’s Appointment
- “The Root, Stem, Leaves, & Fruit of American Education” [Part 3]
- After #Ferguson: Sample Questions for Reflection & Discussion in Our Schools (via #PubPriBridge)
- Cultural Competence and Public-Private Partnership as Educational-Relational Thinking: Resources from #PoCC14
- A.I.M.ing for Inclusion with the NAIS Assessment of Inclusivity and Multiculturalism (Resources from #PoCC Workshop C-4)
- “Plant the Seeds that One Day Will Grow” (Farewell Comments to Colleagues)
- Reading Comprehension Strategies from Ms. Lockhart's 4th Grade Students
- 6th Grade #StuVoice on the Education System (Part 1 of 2)
- "At the Table with Dr. King"
- Bridging ‘Teaching & Learning’ and ‘Diversity & Inclusion’ at #PoCC13 & #NAISAC14
- “The Root, Stem, Leaves, & Fruit of American Education” [Part 2]
- Cultural Competence and the ‘Pluriverse’ of Learning
- MT @CurtisUES: Twitterpated by personalized professional development: cfee.me/A5EL1n #PLN #PLE
COMPLETE INDEX OF POSTS
RECENT TWEETS FROM @ChrisThinnes
+1 @pgow! Excited to collaborate w/ @808Academy21 @pammoran @Mamarobertson4 @JohnEdwardChubb & Diana Smith at #naisac15!
RT @pgow: Great planning w/fellow panelists 4 #PubPriBridge-inspired session @NAISAC15 @pammoran @ChrisThinnes @Mamarobertson4 @JohnEdwardChubb et al.
Early bird rate for @NetworkPublicEd's #NPEConference ends 1/31! http://t.co/zBaIwBvd8I Reg: http://t.co/qh07N7P8vt http://t.co/6KZO0c4ZTo
"Awakening a Black Child’s Consciousness & Curiosity" @mdawriter: http://t.co/PklKsW1yOM
46 mins ago
"The discussion of culture is being steadily absorbed into the discussion of business..." http://t.co/vUTh2lDDcF http://t.co/67OB0Hoz8x
"Among the Disrupted" @LeonWieseltier: http://t.co/jZk730ckLf (HT @DianeRavitch)
ICYMI: "The Day the Purpose of College Changed" @DanBerrett: http://t.co/O8Kq3u5Wpv (TY @mroth78) #edchat http://t.co/ruIfBZnrFs
- +1 @pgow! Excited to collaborate w/ @808Academy21 @pammoran @Mamarobertson4 @JohnEdwardChubb & Diana Smith at #naisac15!